This page describes the various library membership options for Porirua Library and how to join the library.
You can join online through our Library Catalogue and then come in with proof of your address, or you can come in and complete an application form at the main library or at one of our four branches (Cannons Creek, Pukerua Bay, Titahi Bay or Whitby). You will normally require signature and address ID, such as a bankcard and telephone account.
Membership is free for ratepayers. Please provide a rates demand when applying.
Some charges apply depending on which form of membership you prefer. The three options are:
1. Household subscriber – you join for an annual subscription which can be paid yearly or in two installments.
2. Short-term subscriber – you join for up to two months
3. Rental borrower – you have free membership and pay per item issued.
Current students and staff at Whitireia Community Polytechnic can join for for free. You need to show us your current Whitireia I.D. and your course details. We will contact the Whitireia Library staff before issuing your card.
If you live within the Porirua rating area or pay rates to Porirua City Council, membership is free.
There are three options for non-ratepaying borrowers:
1. Household subscriber $120 per year or $60 for 6 months.
2. Short-term subscriber $25 per two months
3. Rental borrower $2 per item + the usual issue charges
Children can have their own cards, but all those under 16 years of age will require a guarantor to sign for them.
If you are living in the Porirua rating area while on holiday and you are a member of a public library in your own place of residence, then you can have free membership for up to two months only. You need to produce your library card from your home library.
If your business pays rates to the Porirua City Council, then you, as director, can apply for free membership to borrow materials related to your business.
You can have a teacher’s card for free if you teach at a Porirua School. Children’s items only can be borrowed on this card.
Normal library practice is to post out your new card. You can start borrowing as soon as you receive it. However, it is possible for immediate issue if certain conditions are met, such as providing proof of your address.
What you need depends on your requirements.
1. If you want to borrow items straight away, you will need signature and address ID, eg a bank card and telephone account.
2. If you are willing to wait until your card is posted to you before borrowing any items, then signature ID is all that you need.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (04) 237 1533.
Built By Optimation