This page outlines the History and description of Mana Station and its buildings.
Mana Station, from north end of platform.
Photo – Russell Murray, 2009.
This station has since been upgraded with new platform buildings.
The first Mana Station was opened on 5 September 1949 solely as a single-platform multiple unit stop for commuters. The area, and the station, was originally known as Dolly Varden, a name that was changed in 1955 partly because of its infamous associations with a Dickens character. This new station provided commuter access to Wellington to keep pace with the post-war housing boom, which was rapidly moving up the coast from Porirua. In 1960, as part of the duplication of the line, a new double platform and subway to Ngati Toa domain were built and the original Mana building was moved to the new up (western) platform, and a new shelter built on the down (eastern) platform. The current station structures were probably built in the early 1980s.
A drawing by Doug Hoy in 1969 shows two small buildings on either side of the line. [Ref. xvi]
The station has an exposed setting. The east side is bounded by rear service areas at the back of the adjacent residential and commercial buildings, driveways and car parking areas. The west side opens out to the Ngati Toa Domain, although foremost in the view out to sea is more car parking.
The station consists of two platforms with a pedestrian under-pass linking them. The present station buildings are similar to those at Pukerua Bay, and their style may best be described as “1980s unfortunate”. They consist of steel and fibre-cement walls, partly covered with semi-circular vaulted roofs in corrugated plastic over a steel structure.
Built By Optimation