This page provides short histories of the street names in Pukerua Bay. Pukerua Bay is Porirua City's northern-most suburb.
Signpost Stories was an exhibition at Pataka Museum from October 2004 to January 2005 which explored the history behind, and the meanings of the names of the streets, avenues, lanes and groves of Porirua City. Follow this link to find out more information about Pataka's Signpost Stories Exhibition.
Pukerua Bay's streets are named for natural features (in English or Maori), after well known European settlers and characters from the Maori legend of Hau and Wairaka. For more information about the Wairaka legend, please see the link at the bottom of this page.
Donlin Road - Originally known as Marama Place, it was renamed Donlin Road after the Hutt County Engineer Mr Leonard Sydney Donnelley.
Downs View Place - Named for the view of the grassy area of rolling hills.
Elizabeth Street - Named after the wife of Charles Gray who was a major landowner of Pukerua Bay.
Gray Street - Named after Charles Gray, who was an owner of land in Pukerua Bay which he subdivided into residential blocks. He was the first to do so in the Bay.
Haunui Road - Haunui-a-nania was a legendary figure who pursued his erring wife, Wairaka. She was turned into Wairaka Rock.
Kapekape Place - Kapakape: south west.
Kotipu Place - Kotipu: cut off. The road was cut off at the reserve
Main Road - Self-explanatory.
Muri Road - Muri: back - literally the back road.
Ocean Parade - Self-explanatory.
Onepu Road - Onepu: gently blowing sand.
Pa Road - Named for the Ngati Toa Pa.
Pukerua Beach Road - Self-explanatory.
Puketai Place - Puketai: hill above the sea.
Raroa Place - Raroa: long daylight or to face the sun.
Rawhiti Road - Rawhiti: sunrise. It was, when built, the first road to see the sunrise.
Sea Vista Drive - Self-explanatory.
Takutai Road - Takutai: the edge.
Taumata Road - Taumata: brow of a hill.
Te Ara Road - Te Ara: the track. This road is part of the track along which the early residents walked to the settlement.
Teihana Road - Teihana: station.
Te Kura Road - Te Kura: school.
Te Motu Road - Te Motu: the island. An island of the land was left between Takutai Road and the main highway.
Te Pari Pari Road - Te Pari Pari: precipice or cliff.
Toenga Road - Toenga: scrap left over. Toenga Road used to be known as “The Avenue”. It was left over after the other streets had been given Maori names.
Waimapihi Drive - This is the name of the Maori land block which was subdivided to form most of the present village of Pukerua Bay. For a short time the railway station was known as Waimapihi, as was the Post Office from 1919-1921.
Waimarino Road - Waimarino: still waters
Wairaka Road - Haunui’s wife. Haunui was a great sorcerer who followed his wife, who had run away with her lover, down the length of the North Island. When he finally caught her, he ordered her to gather him paua. She ran into the tide and he turned her into a rock, which can still be seen today.
Weku Road - Weku was Wairaka’s lover. When Wairaka's husband, Haunui, caught them, he turned Weku into a bird and Wairaka into a rock.
Built By Optimation