This page gives a brief history of the Pukerua Bay Scout Hall. Pukerua Bay is Porirua City's northern-most suburb.
The Scout Hall building was originally constructed in 1952 as a volunteer effort by members of the Pukerua Bay RSA on land in Teihana Road donated by prominent local landowner Charles Gray.
For the next dozen years, the hall provided an important local venue for many social activities for the RSA including balls, fairs, Christmas parties and private functions.
The changing social patterns of the early 1960s saw use of the hall decline and the RSA down-sized their premises to better meet their needs, moving to the present RSA hall in Wairaka Road. In 1964 the RSA sold the old hall to the Atlantic Oil Company which subsequently gifted it to the scouts in 1965. The building was then relocated in July 1965, with considerable assistance from the local community, to its present site in Kotipu Place adjacent to the Greenmeadows Reserve and named the Atlantic Hall in honour of its donors. It was formally re-opened on 12 February 1966 by Mr R.F. Blackmore.
The building was spruced up by the Scouts in 1973, and subsequently (ca. 1980s) the alterations to the street front were made. The building remains in Scouts use to the present day.
The Pukerua Bay Scout Group was established in 1941 by Mr Claude Love (Pukerua Bay Primary School Golden Jubilee 1927-1977, pamphlet). After World War II the Scouts met in the Home Guard hut on Mr Reg Wall’s Mt Welcome (now Kerehoma) farm. 1945 photographs show Mr Wall talking to the Scouts about native plant identification.
Over the years the group has included Cubs and Venturers and subsequently became a Sea Scout group. Many boys (and now girls too) have gained Queen Scout and Duke of Edinburgh Awards and attended national and international jamborees. Since becoming a Sea Scout group it acquired a standard sailing boat, a Sunburst yacht, and a South African Dabchick; the group has also built its own pram dinghy and canoe.
The present Scout group includes girls and boys and has 18 Cubs and 12 Scouts. Sea Scouts meet at the facility at the Ngati Toa Domain.
Scouting was established in New Zealand in 1908 a year after the first camp was held in England on 1 August 1907 by Lord Robert Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. In 1907, Lord Baden-Powell ran an experimental camp, on Brownsea Island on the South of England, for 20 young boys from different social backgrounds. This was the start of what has become the largest youth organisation in the world with more than 28 million scouts in 216 countries and territories.
There are currently over 12,603 youth Scout members, 2861 warranted section Leaders and 500 Scout Groups throughout New Zealand. Over 2648 lay members and supporters also currently hold warrants.
At present there are over 28 million Scouts, youth and adults, in 216 countries and territories in the organisation of the Scout Movement. By 2007 it is estimated that over 500 million women and men from most countries and cultures in the world will have pledged to live by the Scout Promise and Law.
Scouting has 5 sections, open to both boys and girls: Keas, for children 6 to 8 years; Cub Scouts, for 7-11, Land Sea and Air Scouts, for 10-16, Venturer Scouts for ages 14-18 and Rover Scouts for 18-26.
Built By Optimation