This page describes Plimmerton Station, a key heritage site in Porirua City.
Plimmerton Station is the second station building in Plimmerton. The first building was demolished when the line was double tracked in the late 1930s, and work started on the current platform and building in 1939, and it was completed by mid-1940.
The current station building is constructed to a standard railways design for a busy station with a booking office. The design originated from the well respected railway architect Mr George Troup in the early 1900s, and includes many features of early rail buildings in New Zealand such as: cantilevered verandahs supported by bent and welded 70lb rail brackets (train tracks), a signalling room, and a series of waiting rooms. The only other remaining example of a station building similar to Plimmerton Station in the Wellington Region is at Tawa. For many years the station building has been boarded up and disused.
Over the past years many residents of Plimmerton have worked together to save the station building from falling into a state of disrepair. The residents have worked with Council and KiwiRail and organised for the building's roof to be replaced, interior repairs, and the use of the building for a commercial business. These repairs were mostly funded by KiwiRail and Porirua City Council has assisted by facilitating this project. Following are some photos of the old and new roof.
Plimmerton Station showing the new roof.
Plimmerton Station before the new roof.
Photo showing repairs to the verandah.
See also the Rail Heritage Project - Plimmerton Station page
Built By Optimation