This page has the history of street names in Paremata, Papakowhai and Mana in Porirua City.
Signpost Stories was an exhibition at Pataka Museum from October 2004 to January 2005 which explored the history behind, and the meanings of the names of the streets, avenues, lanes and groves of Porirua City.
Acheron Road - named after HMS Acheron, an early survey ship that charted New Zealand waters. In Greek mythology Acheron was a river in Hades across which the souls of the dead were carried by Charon the ferryman.
Bay View Road - self-explanatory
Dolly Varden Crescent - Named by early landowner and farmer James Walker after his 14 metre cedar rowing skiff that won championships at Wellington and Nelson.
Kahu Road - Kahu, hawk
Karoro Place - Karoro black-backed seagull
Kenef Road - After Kenneth and Ethel Bradey, who owned farmland in the area. Ken and Effie became Kenef
Kiriwai Road - Kiriwai, inner skin
Makora Grove - Makora, red-billed gull
Mana Esplanade - Originally part of the Plimmerton-Paremata Road and Paremata Esplanade. Named after Mana Island.
Mana View Road - Formerly known as Dolly Varden Road, changed to Mana View Road in 1954.
Marina View – chosen from 29 suggested names relating to the nearby marina.
Oak Avenue - when the area was surveyed, the road was diverted around 100 year-old Oak trees.
Paremata Road - Originally called Main Road it was changed to Paremata Road in January 1961.
Paremata Crescent - self-explanatory
Paremata Drive – self explanatory
Pascoe Avenue - Arthur J Pascoe was a Hutt County Councillor in the 1960s. He had a health supplies business named A J Pascoe Naturopath originally based in Lower Hutt and then from 1958 in Paremata where he built a house (now Stillwaters) at 34 Mana Esplanade. He had 42 shops throughout New Zealand. Pascoe had a vision for the Ngatitoa Domain and was responsible for the development of playing fields, playgrounds and amenities when it was just sandhills. He had also proposed an Olympic-sized swimming pool be built on the domain.
Redoubt Lane - Commemorating the stone fort, Paremata Barracks, that was built in 1846 by Sir George Grey.
Sea View Road - self-explanatory
Station Road - leads from what was the old main road (now Paremata Crescent) down to the railway station.
Tirowhanga Road - Tirowhanga, harbour view
Trevor Terrace - Named after Mr Alfred Trevor who lived in an old bach at top of the Terrace. He subdivided part of the 7 acres of land owned by Alexander McKenzie on the Golden Gate. He died sometime in the 1950s having helped establish the Paremata Netball Club. Alfred Trevor was known locally as Uncle Trevor, the name Uncle Trev being adapted by local author Jack Lasenby as the much-loved character in his books.
Walker Avenue – James Walker owned and farmed land on what is now the Ngatitoa Domain.
Whitianga View - Maori name for the bluff overlooking the south end of Paremata Bridge.
Papakowhai Road - Chosen by the Papakowhai Residents Association as the road was planned to run the full length of the official suburb of Papakowhai.
Okowai Road - A former name of Gear Homestead.
Frances Brown Avenue - Named after the first Mayoress of Porirua
Whitford Brown Avenue - Named after the first Mayor of Porirua
Built By Optimation